Bipolar disorder can affect your performance at work or school. It can also make it challenging to build and maintain relationships.
Other effects may include:
- heavy alcohol use
- drug misuse
- spending sprees
- unrealistic beliefs in your own abilities
Many people with bipolar disorder are still highly functioning individuals and can maintain a healthy professional and personal life. Untreated bipolar disorder is more likely to worsen and interfere with your daily life.
Suicidal thoughts and actions can occur in both manic and depressive episodes.
- If you think someone is at immediate risk of self-harm or hurting another person:
- • Call 911 or your local emergency number.
- • Stay with the person until help arrives.
- • Remove any guns, knives, medications, or other things that may cause harm.
- • Listen, but don’t judge, argue, threaten, or yell.
- If you or someone you know is considering suicide, get help from a crisis or suicide prevention hotline.